Summer is a great time to eat light healthy foods. Local produce is at its peak and there is nothing quite like a good salad on a summer day. Summer is the perfect time to have a healthy picnic at the beach or to throw a dinner party for your friends. Be sure to try these healthy recipes!
Shrimp and Avocado Salad
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb cooked medium sized shrimp (buy still frozen if possible for freshness)remove tails
- 1 medium sized tomato, seeded and chopped
- 3 scallion chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 1 large firm avocado cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 TBS chopped cilantro
- 1 TBS chopped fresh mint
- 2 TBS chopped pumpkin seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- 1 head small romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed
- Make sure shrimp is completely unfrozen, if you buy it already cooked, and patted dry with paper towels.
- Assemble all ingredients with shrimp in a bowl except lettuce and mix. For optimum flavor, marinate in refrigerator for 15 minutes or more. It is still very good served right away if you don't have the time. Serve on bed of chopped romaine lettuce.
Orange and Coconut Salad
Prep and Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 4 oranges peeled and cut into segments
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 TBS sliced, toasted almonds
- Prepare fruit and toss with coconut and almonds
Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 3 cups tomato juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced, 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 medium tomato, chopped, seeds and excess pulp removed
- 2/3 cup diced cucumber, (cut lengthwise and scoop out seeds)
- ½ medium onion, finely minced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 4oz can diced green chili
- 3 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ lb small cooked shrimp, rinsed and patted dry
- ½ lb bay scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Rinse and dry scallops. Put into lemon juice. Peel cucumber, scoop out seeds and dice. Mix with rest of ingredients in a bowl. Add scallops and lemon juice at end. Letting the scallops sit in the lemon juice while preparing rest of ingredients allows them to marinate. If you can prepare this soup ahead of time and place in refrigerator for an hour or more, the taste improves.
Tropical Energy Smoothie
Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yields 2 - 8 oz glasses
- 2 TBS tahini
- 1 medium size ripe banana
- 1 cup low fat plain yogurt
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 medium papaya
- Scoop out meat from papaya with spoon and place in blender with rest of ingredients. Blend until smooth.
Fresh Herbed Chicken Breast
Prep and Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 4 boneless chicken breasts with skin on
- 2 medium cloves garlic pressed
- 1 TBS fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat broiler on high. Place ovenproof metal pan under broiler to get hot. Do not use glass or pyrex for this.
- Season chicken with a little salt and pepper. When pan is very hot, about 5 minutes, put chicken in pan and return to broiler. Turn heat to low. Don't put too close to flame. It is best to put in middle of the oven, about 7 inches from the heat source. (Quick Broil) for about 15 minutes, or until done, depending on thickness of chicken.
- While chicken is cooking chop herbs.
- In a separate small skillet add chopped herbs, lemon juice, broth, pressed garlic, salt and pepper. Heat on medium heat for just ½ minute.
- When chicken is done remove skin, slice, and place on platter. Drizzle herb sauce over chicken.